[Vision2020] Tar Sands: Canada's Mordor

KRFP krfp at radiofreemoscow.org
Sat Jun 2 23:52:28 PDT 2012

Sunday, 10 AM on KRFP:

Mordor is the realm of the evil Sauron in “The Lord of the Rings.”
Tolkien describes it as “a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash
and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." If you look at
Canada’s Alberta tar sands you might imagine it’s something like Mordor.
The gigantic effort to extract oil has turned the province into a
hydrocarbon kingdom. And it may be one of the most environmentally
destructive projects on earth. Tar sands burn more carbon than
conventional oil; destroy forests; kill wildlife; poison the water
supply and communities downstream; drain the Athabasca, the river that
feeds Canada’s largest watershed, and contribute to climate change. The
Keystone XL pipeline from Alberta to refineries in the U.S. has been put
on hold because of protests but it is likely to resurface.

http://www.alternativeradio.org/products/nika001

This is one of my favorite shows. You have to catch it on air, it is not
available as a podcast.

P.S. It is rumored that the host may be coming our to town to visit.

Dave Willard
Engineer and prime listener, KRFP 92.5 FM