[Vision2020] carbon tax

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 2 09:56:24 PDT 2012

The following article has gone a long way to convince me that we might
need a small carbon tax as a hedge against the uncertainty of our
climate change projections.  We would need to keep it small, because a
carbon tax will affect everything from the price of gas to the price of
milk.  If we care about the underprivileged in our society, we'd want to
phase it in slowly and give our society time to make more fuel-efficient
cars and whatnot.  I would set it up so that the taxes fund more
research into alternative energy solutions, power grid updates, and
energy storage solutions.  I would also suggest setting up potential
adjustments to this tax so that as the uncertainty goes away we use
raise or lower it as appropriate.

The reason I could get behind a small carbon tax and not carbon credits
is basically a look at where the money goes.  Money from a tax can be
tracked and re-purposed as needed with accountability.  Carbon credits
will only make the richest of us richer, and more work will go into ways
to screw the system than will go into research into possible alternative
energy sources.

I wish more people would look towards the center of this debate.  You
have the Far Right kooks (of which I'm not one) and you have the Far
Left kooks (of which I'm also not one).  A complete lack of concern on
one side and a desire to return us to the Middle Ages on the other.

Anyway, here is the article:
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/timworstall/100017600/yes-climate-change-is-a-problem-and-yes-we-do-have-to-do-something-but-in-britain-weve-done-it-already/

  Yes, climate change is a problem and yes, we do have to do something:
  but in Britain, we've done it already

By Tim Worstall
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/author/timworstall/> Economics
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/category/economics/> Last updated:
June 1st, 2012

Perhaps we can sit down and discuss this climate change thing like the
adults we are? Put the Delingpoles over here, the vilenesses that are
Greenpeace, FoE and the rest of the forward-to-the-Middle-Ages crowd
over there, and in that vast howling wasteland between the two positions
discuss what we really know and what we ought to do about it?

Start with the simple fact that there are really only two important
things we know about the entire idea. The first of these is that the
direct effect of a doubling of atmospheric CO2 is trivial, something
simply not to get worried about. Yes, we convert all the methane, NOx
and all the rest into their CO2 equivalents, giving us not CO2 but
CO2-e. And we know very well what the effect, directly, of a doubling of
this from pre-industrial levels will be. A 0.7 degree rise in average
temperature. This is simply straight physics and it is indeed
highlighted in all of the IPCC reports. Less than the difference between
Yorkshire and Cornwall, possibly than Somerset and Cornwall. At this
level, quite frankly, who gives a damn?

The second thing we know absolutely is that this is not the end of the
story, for there are feedbacks, and the really important thing is that
we don't know where they will lead. Feedbacks are all of the processes
started by that 0.7 degree warming, and which then amplify (positive
feedbacks) or dampen (negative feedbacks) that initial direct effect of
the CO2. You can take your pick from an improbably long list: sea ice
melting reduces reflection of light back out into space, allows the
ocean underneath to be warmed: a positive feedback. More CO2 increases
plant growth (which is why commercial greenhouses pump the stuff in)
which leads to more humus formation and thus more carbon locked up in
the soil: a negative feedback.

The cumulative effect of all of these feedbacks is something we simply
do not know. We don't even know what all the feedbacks are; and of those
we do know about, we're not sure in which direction they move. While
there are some reasonable guesses about what the total number and
direction of them all added together, we're not certain whether that
total effect is positive or negative.

The general answer from the IPCC and the like is that climate
sensitivity, the total effect adding in all the feedbacks positive and
negative, is in the 2 degree to 4.5 degree range, most likely at about 3
degrees. But there are entirely honest and reasonable scientists
(meaning those not bought by either Big Oil or Big Environment) out
there arguing that this range is either too high or too low: that
climate senstivity is such that possible outcomes range from "who the
hell cares" to "whoops, there boils Flipper!"

It is this "we don't know" that leads to needing to do something.
Economists call this uncertainty, and the correct and reasonable
reaction to uncertainty is insurance. It can sound a little odd: the
idea is that the less we know about the effects of climate change, the
more we ought to do about it. But consider insurance against your house
burning down. If you know the chance is 1 in a million then you'll not
be willing to pay (much) more than one millionth of its worth to insure
it. If the risk is 1 in 10,000, then perhaps one ten-thousandth of the
value. But if you are uncertain what the risk is then you are willing to
pay much more of the value in order to gain insurance.

At our current state of knowledge about climate change, we do not face
risk. We face uncertainty: the greater that uncertainty about climate
sensitivity, the more we should be willing to expend to insure ourselves.

So this is what we know about climate change. We know there will be some
effect from emissions, and we also are uncertain about what that effect
will be. The uncertainty itself means that we should do something. But what?

I've already explained this here
<http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/timworstall/100016929/why-the-answer-is-a-carbon-tax/>.
Don't listen to the ignorant hippies to our Left, or to those shouting
that there's nothing to it from the Right. The answer is, quite simply,
a revenue-neutral carbon tax.

The outcome of all of this climate science is that we face an economic
problem. How much will it cost us to reduce this uncertainty, against
the benefit we will receive from reducing it? The answer is not going to
come from those who are ignorant of economics, nor from those who deny
the uncertainty. It's an economic problem, so we need to use the tools
of economics to study it.

Which is what a number of people have done. Amazingly, over on the
hysteria-about-Flipper side, Nasa's James Hansen manages to get the
point: a tax on fossil fuels as they come out of the ground, rebated to
households. It's worth noting that this would add $1 to a gallon of gas
in the US: in Europe we're already paying this, so we're done on that
score. There's also William Nordhaus, the granddaddy of researchers into
the economics of climate change. Start with a small tax now and commit
to raising it in the future. This enables us to work with the
technological and capital cycle, reducing the total cost. Or there's the
Stern Review, which essentially states that throw a bit of money at R&D
and a carbon tax of $80 per tonne CO2-e and she'll be right. Gaia that
is, or at least our relationship to her.

Which brings us to our final question: is this expense worth the
reduction in uncertainty? Entirely arguable, that one. The argument
revolves around how much you value what happens now against how much you
value what happens in the future.

Except for one little point: we in the UK are already paying that carbon
tax. With emissions around the 500-million-ton mark, that $80 per tonne
tax works out at about £25 billion or so that should be paid in tax to
solve the problem, entirely and absolutely. And in the UK, when you add
up fuel duty, Air Passenger Duty and all the rest, we already pay that
and more in carbon or greenhouse taxes. We're not paying it in all the
right places, this is true: fuel duty and APD are too high, while diesel
for farmers and trains is too low. But given that the total amount is
already being levied, all we need to do is shift around what is already
being charged to solve the climate change problem.

We've then got to go and convince everyone else: but think how much
easier that will be once we show quite how cheap and simple the solution
is. No more of the mantra that we've got to end industrial civilisation:
three squares a day has become something of a habit for many of us. And
no more of the shouts that nothing needs to be done.

There really is a Climate Change Conspiracy, of course, something we'll
come to next time. But it isn't about the science. The science tells us
that there is uncertainty; uncertainty is an economic problem to be
solved through economic methods. And given that we're all already being
forced to cough up enough green taxes to provide that economic solution,
why don't we just get on with the tinkering around the edges of the
current system to enforce that solution?

Rather than, say, either version of howling at the Moon that is the
current Left and Right of the debate?