[Vision2020] Tomorrow Never Knows

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:19:24 PDT 2012

The best sound for the Beatles albums is potentially the USB 24 bit 44.1k
FLAC Files offered on the USB stick option.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/470844/beatles-stereo-box-on-usb-stick-shaped-like-a-green-apple
http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/storyId-1796/p-Apple_No_The_Other_Apple_Releases_Beatles_Catalog_on_USB_Stick/view.story.blog

Amazon says today "in stock... only 9 left" for a mere $255.50 *with FREE
with Super Saver Shipping*:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-USB/dp/B002VH7P4O

Itunes is a joke for all the low rez mp3s promoted encouraging garbage
sound through crappy Ipod headphones...
At least https://www.hdtracks.com/ id offering high resolution music
downloads, but their catalog is limited.

If you want to be sent to music nirvana, try the Genesis album "Trick of
the Tail" disc remastered in 5.1 SACD surround sound, through an audiophile
system of course.  Even the DTS 5.1 version of this release is amazing.
It was very well recorded to begin with, offering astonishing sound on the
Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab half speed mastered vinyl version.  But this 5.1
SACD remastered version has ended my skepticism about 5.1 remasterings of
music originally released stereo.

Also, Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" has been released 5.1 SACD, which I
would love to hear... But some sources are asking $35.00 a copy!
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/77001/Pink_Floyd-Wish_You_Were_Here-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

>From website above:

Is this the biggest SACD reissue in the history of the format? Time will
tell, but don't bet against it.

*Wish You Were Here*(?) Now you can be. Total lifelike recreation of a
chart-topping, pioneering, way-ahead-of-its-time blockbuster.

You talk about a title made for multichannel SACD! It's as if they knew 35
years ago that this format would be available. Finally, technology caught
up with Pink Floyd. And oh how lucky we all are to still be around to hear
this legendary studio recording in its full potential.

Pink Floyd chose Acoustic Sounds and Analogue Productions to handle the
exclusive distribution of this monumental SACD and we are honored and
thrilled to be a part of EMI's huge *Why Pink Floyd...?* campaign that
includes remastered CDs, Blu-rays, DVDs, LPs, memorabilia box sets and
this, the first-ever multichannel presentation of *Wish You Were Here*. The
SACD also of course includes a stunning stereo mix. And as this is a hybrid
disc, the record is of course also playable on a standard CD player.

On its release in 1975 *Wish You Were Here* topped the album charts in both
the UK and the U.S. Reflecting the band's thoughts of the time on the music
business and exploring themes of absence, *Wish You Were Here* contains the
classic cut "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," a tribute to founding band member
Syd Barrett.

In fact, Barrett, who'd long been absent from the lives of Pink Floyd's
band members, stopped by the *Wish You Were Here* recording sessions at
London's Abbey Road Studios unannounced. The reunion - with Barrett
reportedly appearing in poor mental condition - is said to have been an
emotionally stirring event for the band, and apparently that encounter
would be the last any of the band members were ever to see of Barrett, who
died in 2006.

As they did with their previous release, *Dark Side of the Moon*, Pink
Floyd made great use of studio effects for this, their ninth album overall.
The record's winding soundscapes are perfect for the canvas of multichannel
SACD. Spacious and airy, the record breathes like a living being.

*Wish You Were Here* was selected by *Rolling Stone* as No. 209 on their
list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time". And that's before they heard
it like this!

5.1 surround mix by James Guthrie
Assistant engineer Joel Plante
Mastered by James Guthrie and Joel Plante
Mixed and mastered at das boot recording
DSD authoring for SACD by Gus Skinas

"...Analogue Productions got the exclusive for the latter's appearance in
5.1 on SACD. The results are spectacular, given that the progressive rock
of the day - this dates from 1975 - was conceived from the outset to
immerse the listener in sound. Regardless of its surround sound aspect,
this is a dazzling effort...today's discrete multichannel capabilities
truly liberate the sound in all of its open and spacious glory." Sound
Quality: 92% - Ken Kessler, *Hi Fi News*, February 2012

"The Analogue Productions SACD of *Wish You Were Here* offers a premium
quality compact package and the rapturous sound quality of high resolution
audio...For Pink Floyd Fans, *Wish You Were Here* represents the perfect
synergy of sonic perfection, lyrical emotion and instrumental proficiency.
Deservedly so, *Wish You Were Here* now joins *Dark Side Of The Moon* on
the Super Audio CD format, offering Pink Floyd fans the quintessential
audiophile listening experience. Highly recommended!" - Paul Powell Jr., *Brain
Damage*, December 2011

"...I was simply struck with the new-found ability to listen to what is
essentially the master tape, without any flaws or compromises in the
tranlation from storage medium to sonic image. In other words, I was
hearing the choices that the musicians and engineers had made during the
recording process, fully un-obscured. Wow!" - Ken Langford, *Brain Damage*,
December 2011

"...There really aren't words for how spectacular, and how musically right,
Guthrie's remix was and the quality imbued in every bit of this
production...I have been hearing this music since the day it arrived in my
local record store 35 years ago and never imagined anything like this.
Guthrie's expert, musically impeccable multichannel remix added depth and
clarity to the superb original, and how he got Richard Wright's ARP string
to orbit the room several feet above my heard has to be the result of some
sort of voodoo...Mind-boggling." - Paul Bolin, *The Audio Beat*, November
3, 2011

"...If ever an album was made for surround replay, *Wish You Were Here *was
it. Originally conceived with a Quad mix in mind, the massive scale and
bandwidth demands of the album reinforce the benefits of the multichannel
format. If ever a record should have been labeled 'PLAY LOUD,' this was it,
and five channels of amplification, five speakers and the underpinning of a
serious subwoofer might not be essential, but they certainly add to the
effect. Regular Floyd producer Guthrie has created a tasteful and effective
5.1 mix that actually succeeds in adding to the music, the special
embellishments and immersive quality simply extending the sense and impact
of the event...I can assure you that you'll not be disappointed...For once
we have a reissue that stands up to the hype." Music = 5/5, Sound = 4.5/5 -
Roy Gregory, *The Audio Beat*, November 2011

"...The music may be almost 40 years old, but it sounded fresh because of
the mix, which used the center and rear channels very effectively, creating
a true soundscape that was startling at points - especially immediately
before the lyrics began to 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' - and mindblowing
at others. This demo was a potent reminder of how innovative and expertly
constructed this music was - and that David Gilmour's greatness cannot be
overestimated. Only such a promising demo could pack a room with press
during the opening minutes of the show." - Mark Mickelson, *The Audio Beat*,
October 2011

"...We listened to the entire album, straight through, and without
interruptions. At the end of the demonstration, it was one wrung-out
audience…it was like we had been at a concert! Couldn't be better. Clearly
Chad Kassem's top-notch production values were in play… Chad's work sets a
global standard for excellence in fine audio that everyone in the music
business should emulate. Many talk about doing great work; *Chad just goes
out there and gets it done*… and has for years. If this project is an
indicator of things to come, I hope that we see the complete Pink Floyd
catalog issued by Analogue Productions." — David W. Robinson, Postive
Feedback, Issue 58, November/December 2011

"Storm Thorgerson, who designed Pink Floyd's iconic 1975 album, *Wish You
Were Here*, returned to the photographs from his 37-year-old artwork to
create a new package for the Hybrid SACD edition. Now included alongside
the disc is a hardbound book with a set of postcards. ... Thorgerson says:
"The album's package was done in the first place to be very image-led, and
therefore not like The Dark Side of the Moon, which was graphic rather than
image-y." — Douglas Wok, *Print, *April 2012

Read an in-depth review from pinkfloydz.com here:
http://www.pinkfloydz.com/wywhsacd.htm

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

I got the new Beatles album today: Tomorrow Never Knows.