[Vision2020] PR - City Sidewalk Assistance Program Available

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Tue Jul 24 14:08:19 PDT 2012

City of Moscow
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p     |  208-883-7006
e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE
City of Moscow offers assistance to property owners for sidewalk repairs

July 24, 2012 (Moscow, Idaho) - In an effort to assist property owners to maintain and improve sidewalks in the community, the City of Moscow has created the Property Owner Sidewalk Assistance Program, which will provide a simple process for owners to have their sidewalks evaluated and repaired.

A functional sidewalk network links neighborhoods, adds value to homes, and serves to encourage the most basic form of transportation. The objective of the Property Owner Sidewalk Assistance Program, which is an important part of the City of Moscow Sidewalk System Management Plan, is to improve and maintain those networks and provide accessible pedestrian routes for all members of our community.

Sidewalk issues that should be corrected:

*         Faulting is a change in elevations across a crack or section of sidewalk that can become a tripping hazard.

*         Spalling is caused by water seeping below the surface of the concrete, becoming trapped underneath. As this water freezes, it expands, pushing upwards on the surface of the concrete damaging the surface.

*         Cracking occurs as the sidewalk material expands and contracts, cracks are formed.

*         Missing sections of sidewalk where construction has not occurred.

To take advantage of this program, please contact the City of Moscow Engineering Department at 208-883-7034 or complete the Request an Evaluation form located at www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>.

###

Story Contact: Kevin Lilly, City Engineer
Phone:  208.883.7025
Email: klilly at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:klilly at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources.
We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.