[Vision2020] Note to Donovan: Here's some convincing testament.

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 08:31:50 PDT 2012

Donovan,

I see what you're saying about Art but you have to keep in mind that Art
has explained his reasons for believing that there is no God. He's offered
versions of the problem of evil, he regularly points out inconsistencies
among believers, etc. I'm inclined to agree that Art doesn't know that God
does not exist. But I bet Art thinks he knows it. And if you try to
challenge him on that, he'd put up a pretty good fight.

Really it comes down to your standards for warrant (supposing that
knowledge is warranted true belief). Keep in mind that the standards for
warrant that you impose on Art, you have to impose on yourself. Suppose you
say that Art needs absolute certainty, a formal proof of God's
non-existence. Then you'd need the same if you want to say that you can
know that God exists. And then anecdotal reports are meaningless. You are
not going to get from anecdotal reports about God's existence, reports not
shared by all, to some kind of absolute certainty about God's existence.

On the other hand, if you want to loosen the standards of warrant so that
all reports of personal experiences count as evidence for knowledge you
have to loosen them for Art too. Something like this is the case with
perceptual beliefs: we take perceptual reports for granted; we are
justified in believing them unless we have reason to deny them. If our
standards of proof are so low that we may just take our religious
experiences for granted, then I'd have to reevaluate Art's comments on,
say, the problem of evil. One could certainly make a prima facie case for
the existence of a kind of evil that is incompatible with God's existence.

I don't see a set of standards for warrant that comes out with you knowing
that God exists yet Art not knowing that God does not exist (should it turn
out to be true).

Joe