[Vision2020] Relationships

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 23:43:04 PDT 2012

Dononvan's thread of questions about finding a partner is a good one.  I'm fascinated by relationships because most of them are so complicated and in some cases just downright head scratching.  It's beyond me how a hard right conservative pundit like Mary Matalin could be married at all - much less for 18+ years and counting - to a fire breathing liberal spokesmouth (who she still calls a 'liar') like James Carville.  I've attended more weddings than I can count including 1 this past April in Boise + upcoming ones on August 4th (Lake Tahoe), September 8 (Placerville, CA), and September 15 (Lewiston) and I just have a blast at all of them and try to cause as much trouble as I can.

Some marriages work out for whatever reasons.  About 18 years ago, one of my friend's mom was getting married for the 8th time and my friend was tired of going to these events and told her mom she would not be attending.  As could be predicted, her mom was crushed because this 'was such an important and special day' for her.  We drove the 3+ hours to her mom's 8th wedding after which her mom told her that she'd made a mistake marrying this guy.  My friend was deeply upset / oft-times crying on the drive home.  Surprisingly to me, they found a way to make it work.  In short, they lived happily ever after in separate houses that were located just down the same street from each other until she passed away about a 18 months ago from colon cancer.

-Scott