[Vision2020] Ques. For you: What is Most Important in a Relationship?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 17:43:41 PDT 2012

I was wondering what people look for in a life partner, what standards do they have.

What is most important in a relationship?

What character traits do you look for?

What are the deal breakers, in terms of looks, behavior, and attitude?

What about looks vs. personality? Would you be willing to have a partner you know you would not find that attractive in the near future, but they had a loving character and personality?

How about their health, would you continue to be with someone even if you knew they would leave you old and alone? Would you stay with them and do that to them?

What about financial success? Do they need to be at a certain level, or is any financial situation OK with a partner you love?

People that got divorced, what do you suggest would make a relationship last, not last?

How much are you allowed to demand from your partner, and how much should you be willing to change for them?

How about fidelity? Would you marry if you thought you could not be faithful, or you felt they would not be? How about infidelity after, should it end, or accepted?

Does the idea of being faithful, and being 50/50 partners with person for the rest of your life, for better or worse scare you?

I know these are kind of personal, and you can be vague, but I am kinda wondering if other people think and feel about these issues the same as I do. I've never seriously thought about this stuff before because I was young, and marriage was illegal for me until recently. It wasn't really in the cards until now.  Now that I am getting older and marriage is an actual choice, this is kind of new for me so I have not had the opportunity to consider and experience these things like many of you have been fortunate/unfortunate to have done for your entire life. Any insights you can give me would be appreciated.

Donovan J. Arnold