[Vision2020] About Evidence

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 21:50:08 PDT 2012

One disagreement: Beliefs do NOT determine values. "Rape is wrong" (sorry
for the example) is not true because we believe it. There is no consensus
when it comes to most values; there is always disagreement. I don't see how
you can support the view that values are determined by beliefs since both
of these points suggest otherwise.

That said, I don't know what the truthmakers for value judgments are.
Certainly declarative claims have some advantage but there are problems
with truthmaker theories (like the correspondence theory) for empirical
claims as well. And when we add mathematics into the mix, I think you'd be
hard pressed to say that empirical facts are the truthmakers for
everything. The fact is we just don't have a well worked out truthmaker
theory for anything: not empirical facts, not mathematical truths, not
value judgments. You are merely oversimplifying a very complex
philosophical issue.

My own view is that persons have rights and value judgments are true or
false because of those rights. Violate one's rights and what you did was
wrong. I don't want to hang my rights on any set of beliefs, certainly not
the beliefs of the majority. Nor do you. If anything is objective, rights
are objective and not dependent upon subjective beliefs.

Nor do I want to hang them on legal institutions. Slavery was wrong even
when it was legal. The thing about values is that our perception and
understanding and appreciation of them all change over time. Historically
and socially we actually learn and evolve. We -- as a society -- came to
learn that slavery is wrong, for instance. That is social progress and it
is a good thing. But progress of this type makes no sense if value
judgments are merely a function of beliefs. After all, if our favorite
local bigot has his way, he'd be able to convince everyone that slavery was
sometimes morally permissible and (by your view) thereby make it the case.
But it ain't that easy.

It is a complex issue. I'll agree that religion has no upper hand in the
debate -- the divine command theory is a very bad truthmaker theory for
values. But like all philosophical debates, no parties hold the upper hand.
We're still stuck with trying to figure these things out and we don't
benefit ourselves by holding on to easy solutions which are defeated by
still easier criticisms.

Best, Joe