[Vision2020] heat wave

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:55:28 PDT 2012

Roger,

Math is not an empirical science. It is a formal science, just like
logic. 1 +1 = 2 is a statement that vastly exceeds any set of
empirical facts that one has to offer. It is true of unicorns -- which
don't exist -- as well as everything that does exist. The histories of
math and logic are inseparable because both are formal sciences. As
far as I know they are the only two formal sciences.

I don't think I even used the word "philosophy" in any post that I
sent you. I'm talking about logic. Logic is the science of cogent
inference. Any time you use an inference, it is a matter of logic as
to whether the inference is valid (deductive) or strong (inductive)
because it IS the discipline devoted to answering that question. Maybe
you are a scientist, but if you don't admit to using inferences in
science than you're not a good scientist who understands science very
well.

Scientists accumulate evidence and draw predictions, theories, and
other claims from that evidence. Thus, they use arguments. And who is
to say those arguments are good or bad? Logic just is the formal
science devoted to that endeavor. You can't have science without
logic. And if you want to classify logic as part of philosophy, then
it only follows that philosophy is important to science. It is not
just me saying this. It is the entire history of Western civilization
and common sense to boot. Refute it. That too would be hard without
knowing at least a little bit about logic. You'd have to know what the
inference or argument was that I was giving and where it went wrong.
And to that extent, you would just be doing logic.

Joe