[Vision2020] Fwd: Researchers say aerosols from small volcanic eruptions could cool climate

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 16:34:23 PDT 2012

This is interesting reseach, showing lower atmospheric volcanic
emissions may cool climate, as well as high level atmospheric
emissions.

But it has little relevance to solving the problem of anthropogenic
global warming, unless we are to hope for centuries of increasing
volcanic eruptions to mitigate humanity's altering of Earth's climate.

Well, it has relevance to anthropogenic geo-engineering of our
climate, via atmospheric aerosals, as this continues to be discussed
as a solution to global warming.  Actually, we are already
geo-engineering our climate with massive CO2 emissions, so the cats
out of the bag whether humanity should geo-engineer: We already are,
if unwittingly!!!!!!!  The only option now is the extent of this
irresponsible expermment on Earth's climate, which I think should be
stopped as soon as possible, given the scientific probability of
catastrophic impacts.

One important reason insertion of atmospheric anthropogenic sourced
aerosals to mitigate global warming is questionable, is not acid rain,
but ocean acidification, which, contrary to statements on this list,
is not a result of global warming, but to some extent is a separate
problem, caused by the 100s of billions of tons of CO2 injected into
our atmosphere by the burning of fossil fuels:  [Vision2020] Vandal
Science: CO2 Emissions & Ocean Acidification
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2009-November/067543.html

Cooling the climate via aerosals will not stop increasing ocean
acidification from fossil fuel use, and ocean acifification would
occur even if increasing atmospheric CO2 was not causing global
warming.

Why indulge in fantasties about geo-engineering Earth's climate to
solve the global warming problem, when we have the technology to stop
one of the main causes: continued high CO2 emissions?  This is a
political and social problem, actually, not technological.  I know
this statement will raise eyebrows.  But I think the primary issue is
we as a species lack the will and consensus to solve the problem, not
that it is impossible to technologically or behaviorally change to
solve the problem.

As stated in the superb environmental documentary, "The Planet," from
Scandinavia, we don't have to do anything:  there are "choices and
condequences."

Aerosals impact on climate is one of the more uncertain fields in
climate science.  NASA scientist James Hansen, in his book, "Storms of
my Grandchildren" wrote about the need for orbital polarimetry data to
more clearly quantify aerosals impact on climate.  And the GLORY
climate science satellite offered just that.  But 100s of millions of
dollars of satellite ended up at the bottom of the Pacific ocean, I as
posted on Vision2020:
[Vision2020] NASA Climate Science (Aerosal Polarimetry) Satellite
"GLORY" Launch Failure Today 3-4-11
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2011-March/075104.html

Aerosals both cool and warm our climate.  Black carbon, soot from
diesel, for example, on snow and ice, lowers albedo, reflectivity,
thus causing warming.  Sulfates in the atmosphere from coal plants,
otherwise, reflect solar energy, like some emissions from volcanoes,
coolng the climate.  The sum is genersally considered to be a cooling
masking of global warming, sometimes called "global dimming," as
analysed in the following research: Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences from July 2011:
"Reconciling anthropogenic climate change with observed temperature 1998–2008"
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/06/27/1102467108

In military scholar Dyer's book "Climate Wars," the geo-engineering
solution of atmospheric aerosals is raised, and in the interview Dyer
conducted with Stefan Rahmstorf, Professor of the Oceans at Potsdam
University,
http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~stefan/
associated with this book, Rahmstorf argued vehemently against this option.
This book is now at the Troy library, but can be called for
availability in Moscow at the Moscow Public Library.  I urge everyone
to read this book:
Climate wars : the fight for survival as the world overheats /
by Dyer, Gwynne .
http://catalog.valnet.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=325934

The following analysis from Rutgers offers
"20 Reasons why Geo-engineering May be a Bad Idea"
http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/20Reasons.pdf
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

http://www.canada.com/technology/Researchers+aerosols+from+small+volcanic+eruptions+could+cool/6889603/story.html