[Vision2020] Farmers market relocation could become permanent

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jul 2 01:36:00 PDT 2012

Courtesy of today's (July 2, 2012) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

-----------------------------------
Farmers market relocation could become permanent

City of Moscow conducting survey, while downtown business owners gathering petition signatures to support the move

The temporary relocation of the Moscow Farmers Market to Main Street over construction work in the Jackson Street parking lot could become permanent as city officials continue to generate feedback from the public and downtown businesses for study.

The city announced late Friday it was extending the market on Main Street for one more Saturday to gauge interest by patrons, vendors and downtown business owners. So far, the reaction to the location change has been very positive, market manager Barry McGarrah said Saturday at the information booth.

"We didn't know what to expect," said McGarrah of the market move. This is his first year managing. "We've had an overwhelming response of positive from a majority of people. We've got a ton of comment cards."

Much more than when the market, which has been around for 35 years, did when it was at the Jackson Street lot. City councilors approved moving the market for three weekends to conduct a lighting project in the parking lot.

"The last two weekends people have been flooding the tent with a really overwhelming response," said Kathleen Burns, city arts director. "That's when the city decided to extend it one more week to study it a little more."

Leading the charge to keep the farmers market on Main Street for downtown business owners is Sangria Grill co-owner George Skandalos, who has gathered 26 signatures for a petition to be submitted to the city. Skandalos is also opening up an Italian restaurant, Maialina, on Sixth and Main streets.

"I've been trying to get all of the owners on Main Street especially the people where Main Street would be cut off to sign this," he said, adding he will continue this effort today.

Skandalos said business owners he's spoken with have also expressed a desire to extend the market from Third to Sixth and place vendors back-to-back in the middle of the street.

"That way people are still walking on Main Street rather than in the middle of the street," he said.

Currently, Hyperspud and Lillyput are the only businesses in opposition, said Gina Taruscio, director for the Moscow Chamber of Commerce. She said the chamber office on Main Street was open Saturday during the market, which could also become permanent if the market's position there does as well.

I think it's a great community feel," she said. "It really is a nice happening downtown."
McGarrah said a survey went out to the public Friday and vendors last week. The survey was also expected to be on the city of Moscow's website today and volunteers will conduct more at Saturday's market, said Burns.

The Moscow Arts Commission will take public comments 5:30 p.m. July 10 with a full report to City Council anticipated by July 16.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"

- Unknown