[Vision2020] Caturday (January 28, 2012)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jan 28 05:46:23 PST 2012

Courtesy of MailOnline (London, England) at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091997/Cat-thought-giant-tumour-furball-stomach-size-cricket-balls.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

------------------------------
Cat thought to have giant tumour had furball in her stomach the size of two cricket balls

By Jo Riley

Last updated at 10:06 AM on 26th January 2012

A pet cat believed to have a giant tumour in her stomach was found to have a huge furball the weight of two iPhones.

Ginger longhair Gemma, who is eight, nearly died after the giant mass - the size of two cricket balls - expanded to fill her entire stomach and left her unable to eat.

Vets, who operated on her, said it the 215-gram clump was the ‘largest they had ever seen’.

Cat's better: Long-haired moggy Gemma is recovering after having a furball the size of two cricket balls removed from her stomach
David Fennell, from Cromwell Vet Group in Huntingdon said: 'It filled her entire stomach cavity and she had not eaten for days. It would certainly have killed her.

'I have been a vet for 40 years and it is the largest hair ball I have ever seen.

'We could feel a large mass in her abdomen and thought it must be a tumour because it was so big."

'When we opened up her stomach and found the hair ball we were stunned as we’d never seen one anywhere near that size before.'

Gemma was brought into the surgery after she refused to eat for five days.

She was given an x-ray and ultrasound and the huge mass was found.

The vets then carried out an exploratory operation and discovered the hair ball, which they were able to remove.
A day later Gemma was back to full health and eating normally again.

Mr Fennell added: 'She was very hungry but there was no room in her stomach for anything else,' he added.

'Cats do groom a lot and they often cough up small hair balls, but none of the 20 vets in our practice had ever seen anything on this scale before.

'For some reason Gemma had not been coughing up the hair balls and there was no way she could do it once it had become that size.'

He said the owners had now been given advice on how to groom Gemma.

Seeya later, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Post Falls, Idaho

"Gentle eyes that see so much,
paws that have the quiet touch,
Purrs to signal 'all is well'
and show more love than words could tell.
Graceful movements touched with pride,
a calming presence by our side
A friendship that takes time to grow
Small wonder why we love them so."