[Vision2020] Group Files Lawsuit Against Whitman County and Hawkins Companies

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 09:15:04 PST 2012

What ever happened to old fashioned capitalism where investors researched,
made plans, took risks, and invested in order to make a profit?

Here we have an investment group asking for ahuge  handout and a sharing of
the risks from local taxpayers who will not receive a direct payback.  In
addition this proposal stands to harm other Whitman
County/Pullman/Colfax/etc businesses who do not/did not receive a free
lunch from the taxpayers; hence this whole thing is anti-competitive.

There are some cases where certain kinds of government assistance to
certain kinds of businesses may be justified by the outcomes, but a
shopping mall designed simply to take a portion of the fixed spendable
income of an area from other existing businesses using money taken from
taxpayers is not one of them.

Conservatives bitch that we have become an entitlement society. But here we
have some conservatives acceding to the command from wealthy business group
Hawkins for a large entitlement -- nothing less than blatant corporate
welfare.  Even worse, a reputable bond issuing facilitator wants no part of
the deal.

One also wonders what role Moscow City Councilperson, Walter "The Slime"
Steed, longtime associate of/collaborator with the Hawkins family and
vociferous promoter of this anti-Moscow/Latah/Idaho proposal may have had
behind the scenes with both Hawkins and the Whitman County Commissioners.

Note to Hawkins/Steed:  Use your money to do this project like real
entrepreneurs, not like welfare queens, and do it out in the open, not
behind the briar patch.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)