[Vision2020] constitutional matters

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 13:56:57 PST 2012

Obama addressed anthropogenic climate change significantly in his 2008
campaign, yet has cynically ceased emphasizing any specific efforts he
will pursue to specifically address this problem, in his public
statements during this current election cycle.

Consider Obama's statement from 2008 when winning the democratic nomination:

http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/09/15/320743/ten-things-obama-must-do/?mobile=nc

“the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet
began to heal.”

I write "cynically" because Obama's current lack of public focus on
this issue is deliberate pandering to a US public and US Congress that
has succumbed to a powerful propaganda effort to either deny
anthropogenic climate change is happening, or promote the
irresponsible notion that long term adaptation, rather than large
scale mitigation, is a sensible option.  Obama is too smart to stop
publically emphasizing this problem without a deliberate political
calculation aimed at assuring his re-election, I assume because to
emphasize addressing anthropogenic climate change will immediately
arouse the objection that these efforts are bad for the economy, will
cost jobs; and it's obvious the economy is issue number one for the
upcoming election.

I'll not expound now on why not immediately substantially addressing
anthropogenic climate change is long term a very risky approach; but
it appears the US public and US Congress mostly does not take the
following book title seriously: "Storms of My Grandchildren: The Truth
About the Coming Climate Catastrophe and Our Last Chance to Save
Humanity"
http://www.stormsofmygrandchildren.com/storms_of_my_grandchildren.html

Obama will not get my 2012 vote unless he emphatically before election
day 2012 in a major public speech outlines his plan to specifically
address anthropogenic climate change, during his potential next term.

Of course Obama's political strategists don't give a damn about my
vote or not for Obama in Idaho.  We know Obama's political advisors
have already written Idaho into the republican electoral column; and
we know in advance his 2012 campaign will not waste resources in this
state.

There are no major presidential candidates, that I know of, publically
emphasizing anthropogenic climate change as a central issue.  So to at
least fulfill my civic duty to exercise my voting rights, however
futile, I may seek options for an obscure minor candidate, or a
symbolic write in, if possible...

Bill McKibben or James Hansen for president?
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett