[Vision2020] Globaql Food Safety Fund

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:59:49 PST 2012

Petty comment, Jay.

Take "guarantee" out of it. In life there are few guarantees. Your car does
not guarantee your transportation; oxygen, food, and water do not guarantee
life. (Were this a logic class, I would note the difference between
necessary and sufficient conditions.)

Which institution stands a better chance of securing your travel from
Lewiston to Seattle? The federal government or the state? That was Tom's
point. Since there is no single state involved in this transportation,
Tom's example of the FAA is another good example of the need for federal
government programs.

So far it seems that these federal governmental programs are OK: FAA,
Agriculture, Education, and EPA. Again, I'm willing to hear objections to
these points but as I see it the cases have been clearly made. I'm unaware
of substantive arguments against these programs, just nifty slogans like
"Big government is communism."

Note that Roger's comment about the federal government not telling us what
to eat is something that liberals can hang their hat on too since it
concerns the matter of civil LIBERTIES and the State's (broadly concerned
to include the federal government) right to limit your behavior. I agree
with Roger on this point: the State should not tell you what to eat but
neither should your state (Idaho).

One last matter, and I'm genuinely interested in your reply. What is wrong
with universal healthcare? It is a fact that insurance is influenced by
numbers: the more people insured, the lower the costs. This is why my
insurance benefits are better than those you can get at some smaller
company. And it is a fact that uninsured people have a financial impact on
the insured. Doctors, hospitals attempt to run at a profit (if they can) so
the costs incurred by those who don't pay will be passed on to those who do
pay. Knowing just these two facts, how could it not benefit us all from a
purely economical point of view to have universal heath care? I'm aware of
spurious arguments about "limitations of doctors" but that is BS since
anyone with insurance suffers these limitations. This is an argument
insurance in general. Maybe we should do away with insurance and have
everyone be responsible for saving enough money to pay for their doctor
bills as they go. Is that your view?

But I'm a philosopher, not an economist and since you know so much more
about the business world than I do, I realize I might be missing something.
What is it?

Best, Joe