[Vision2020] Say What?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Jan 5 14:10:02 PST 2012

Remember this the next time one of the GOP candidates or pundits deride the "dangerous class warfare" of the Occupy protestors.

How I, as an off-and-on NAACP member, would love to be there when Newt Gingrich presumes to lecture the African-American community on his vast knowledge of the economic struggles of Black families.  I'm always just thrilled to hear the perspectives of privileged-bloated white men on racial justice, sexual integrity, and class divisions.  It's nearly as enlightening as having a bank robber tutor me on the advantages of one checking account package over another.  Or of my dog trying to communicate to me the virtues of a localvore, vegan diet.

That, combined with Santorum's "blacks and welfare" comment Tuesday, illustrates that the GOP is comfortable with the conservative status quo that clings to the tired, disproved notion that "welfare" is "a Black people thing," and corporate favors and tax cuts are quite appropriately the providence, if not Providential, of wealthy whites.  The Republican Party is falling apart because of its insistence on rewarding piety, not virtue; privilege, not honest gain; stupidity, not scholarship; and judgmentalism, not judgment -- and the free fall risks bringing us all down with them.

The big question in November and beyond is, will we continue to let them?

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com