[Vision2020] Just So we Don't Forget The Ultimate Hypocrisy

Nicholas Gier ngier006 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 22:48:43 PST 2012

The most illuminating explanation of liberals and conservatives is found in
the most recent New York Review of Books by Mark Lilla.  He helps me
clarify what I wrote some time ago in "We Are All Liberals--Well, Almost
All" at www.home.roadrunner.com/~nickgier/liberalism.htm.
 Paelo-conservatives (Wilson's own phrase) are not included.

Briefly, the French and American Revolutions broke down the medieval
distinction between "liberi" and "servi" by proclaiming that we are are
"liberi" (free and noble beings). Tweaking the motto of the French
revolutionaries a bit to "liberty, equality, and community," I redefine
classical liberalism as finding a balance among these three values.
 Today's liberals focus on equality and can fail by not keeping the other
two in sight; today's conservatives focus on community and tradition but
can also slight liberty and equality; and today's libertarians are the most
imbalanced of all--emphasizing liberty to the exclusion of the other two.

Speaking of libertarians, this morning on NPR the author of "Libertarianism
from A to Z"--also a fellow at the Cato Institute--declared that Ron Paul
was giving libertarianism a very bad name.

Yours for the best balance of liberty, equality, and community,

Nick

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they
shall never sit in.

-Greek proverb