[Vision2020] Budget cuts could slash $1B from vets health care

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 17:07:30 PST 2012

I question your numbers.  I don't have 2011 numbers, but from this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_budget) it looks like the total spending for 2010 was $3.456 trillion and the total receipts coming in was $2.162 trillion leaving a deficit of $1.294 trillion.  Even if you increased money from all sources by 5%, that's still only $108.1 billion (2.162T * 0.05).  Unless I'm missing something here, we would have to increase our receipts by just under 61%  ((($3.456 T / $2.162 T) - 1) * 100) to close that gap.

I still see the need for massive cuts to, basically, everything.  Defense, entitlements, wasteful expenditures, helpful programs, etc.  Raising our taxes can help close the gap as well, but the amount of money that comes in from personal income taxes is only 42% of the total receipts coming in.

According to that Wikipedia page, income tax accounted for $899 B.  If we wanted to solve this by *only* raising taxes, then we would have to get to a value of $899B + $1.294 T = $2.193 T.  Getting to that amount would mean a tax increase of just under 144% ((($2.193 T / $899 B) - 1) * 100).

We're talking about getting us to the point where we are no longer hemorrhaging money.  It would take even more than that to start whittling away at our current debt.

Of course, the numbers are different for 2011.  I don't know if we're better or worse off than 2010, but I'm assuming we are still in the ballpark.

Paul