[Vision2020] We used to call them Bubba

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Wed Feb 29 12:22:45 PST 2012

Hi Donovan,

We are absolutely in agreement over human rights issues (including full civil rights for GLBT folks), in addition I also favor universal health care, strong unions, and increased funding for public education (including colleges and universities).  I am opposed to even a single penny of government funding or services for private schools, and I would certainly support legislation that required certification/licensing of homeschooling parents.  At the very least that might limit the possibility that their children are being taught that dinosaurs and humans co-existed. My social and political world view has me strutting down the path to hell according to many political/religious conservatives and I happily take my chances with that!

None of which has anything to do with why I respect Barrett’s (who no doubt would shudder over much of my political wish list) standing for office and calling out the loop de loops in the local Militia.  I am not a big fan of conspiracy theories; perhaps because it is the chief weapon used by the goofy guys and gals themselves.  However, I do believe  them when I read their literature which emphasizes the importance of planting “their” people in office and in particular electing their own special kind of Sheriff. (Hint: Take a few minutes to investigate  local candidates for Sheriff .  And, no, Sheriff Rausch is not one of them.)  The Oath Keepers <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_Keepers>  are in lockstep with the Militia movement.  And these folks are not funny (except to look at and listen to).  Armed crackpots who reinforce each other in unfounded and outrageous claims against the government structure, government policies, members of the judiciary, and elected office holders, are not just grumpy, they have the potential to be mean.  There are genuine risks involved when one yanks the tail on a monkey butt.  And, I freely confess, these wankers offend me beyond measure when I remember the service and resolute character of Marines I have known, (Semper Fi to all former Marines)  compared to these jackass toy soldiers pretending to be something they couldn’t have been thirty years ago and certainly can’t be now.

I respect Barrett’s courage and integrity for exposing this mess in our own backyard. Many of us on V2020 have been there and done that, and believe me, as you well know, Donovan, the fallout is not all sunshine and roses.  So, I celebrate the spirit of bi-partisanship that encourages me to find areas of agreement and friendship with Barrett.

Best,

Rose

PS  And speaking of messes in our own backyard, are any of you folks familiar with any occasion when Doug Wilson was spit upon by screaming people?  I was stunned to read this:

“Nate Wilson at age 33 is the father of four children and seven books of young adult fiction, including such titles as the 100 Cupboards trilogy and Leepike Ridge. From his Idaho base he's also put out a terrific video apologetic, Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World. Here are edited excerpts of our interview before students at Patrick Henry College.

Was it a blessing or a curse to be both a preacher's kid and a writer's kid, with your dad, Doug, writing influential books? The disadvantages turned into advantages for me. I knew from a very early age that my father took his qualifications seriously, and I was one of those qualifications. So I, at a very young age, felt I was in a position to ruin everything—I could ruin all of it. But our house was joyful. He was a pastor, but we weren't a house of rules: We were a house of jokes and rock songs. I benefited immensely from the education that he worked to build—the classical education model in Christian schools.

And you saw antithesis? I remember being taken along to events where he'd been invited to come be the crazy Christian, the one guy in the room who they could all scream at and spit on, and watching him smile and laugh while writing a note to a moderator to please call the police. “

http://www.worldmag.com/articles/19205

I have never witnessed such a spectacle, but before I decide that Nate has confused fiction with fact I hope to find independent verification of this event.  If it did happen, it is beyond disgusting and Doug deserves a profound and sincere apology from the dimwits involved.  If it was a mythical event, it may verify the expression that the apple doesn’t fall from the tree.