[Vision2020] 4, 4, 4, 4,

Sam Scripter MoscowSam at charter.net
Thu Feb 23 13:46:07 PST 2012

MoscowSam's 4, 4, 4, 4, plus More . . . .

I: Four States I've been:

1. Texas, where in 1957 at Fort Bliss,
      - I became a U.S. Army trained "Radar mechanic" after 23 weeks
        of schooling during the summer, and,
      - I viewed El Paso and Fort Bliss at night during a lightning storm
        after breaking base rules with some cohorts to climb the
Franklin Mtns
      - And, where I was, sort of, "introduced", to "Mexico", in Tijuana
. . .

2. Georgia, where
      - I viewed Coretta King and her buds, looking for the ladies room, in
        Underground Atlanta, during my several days attendance of the Annual
        meeting of the Association of American Geographers,
      - Where I interviewed Harley Johansen to become my successor, as
        the second Head of the Department of Geography at UI. [We could
        not afford to bring him to Moscow for an interview.]

3. Idaho, where
     - In 1952 as a freshly graduated 8th-grade youth, my younger sister
       and I passed the boredom of traveling US-30, east to west to Oregon,
       by watching for, then reciting, the next set of Burma Shave signs.
     - In 1975 I was introduced to playing the pipes, properly, while
attending
       the "College of Piping" in Coeur d'Alene [bagpipes, not plumbing
pipes]
     - In 2009 I married my blushing bride, whom I first met in 1944, in
Ashland
       Oregon, in the First Grade.

4. Missouri, where
     - In 1967 I gave my first professional "paper" in front of the
Association
       of American Geographers, assembled in St. Louis [scary].
     - In St. Louis I reveled in the gastronomic delight of repeated
visits to
       "Papa Jo's" baked potato and steak buffet. [Whoever heard of such a
       thing?]
     - Where I attended my first major league baseball game, the St. Louis
       Cardinals, their second season in their new Busch Memorial Stadium,
       the year they won the World Series.

II: Four Smells I like

1. The scent of rubber, of tires and tubes, when entering a small bicycle
     shop that is crammed full of bikes, hanging from the ceiling, from the
     walls, and on the floor.

2. Summer rain, freshly fallen onto creosoted railroad ties hot from summer
     sun, as just following an ephemeral "thunder" storm.

3. The brief scent, that comes with the "whoosh", when one opens a fresh
     can of ground Folgers.

4. The scent of leather, the many times I've opened my pipes box, as the
     confined presence emits of the bag of the pipes, seasoned many times
     with the secret air-tight-promoting mixture, and the essence of many
     tunes played.

III: Four Shows I like to Watch

1. Doc Martin

2. Masterpiece Theater's, Downton Abbey

3. Anderson Cooper 360

4. Zags Men's BB

IV: Who: Good question. The list of potentials is becoming "milked",
      but maybe!

1. Fritz,  2. Nick,  3. Surprise, maybe?    4. Maybe even astonishment?

V: "More" = Four Sounds I like

1. My spouse's voice

2. My grandchildren's voices

3. "Henderson's March" and "The Battle of the Birds" as rendered on a
sweetly
     tuned set of bagpipes, while being played on a warm summer afternoon
     in Coeur d'Alene, with the scent of pine pitch wafting about.

4. Volvo "power", of a four-banger with twin SU side-draft carburetors,
working
     a Cascade's grade, in third gear of four on the floor.

Sent from my hp dv6000. Composed in SeaMonkey. Ubuntu 11.04 Distro
w/Linux OS.