[Vision2020] Don't give Butch ideas...

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 16:28:13 PST 2012

Well, the first lesson to learn is don't turn your economy over to German bankers. Greece is suffering because they abandoned their own currency. This led to a boom because it initially lowered their interest rates enabling more borrowing, both government and private. When the world economy collapsed, the value of their currency (Euro) stayed stable but their economy declined, leaving them owing more money than their economy could generate.  Instead of being able to devalue their currency, reducing the external value of the debt and making their exports cheaper, they have to do an internal devaluation, squeezing down wages and prices. This leads to a decline in their GDP, throwing the economy into depression, leaving them even farther in debt. The whole downward spiral was what happened in the great depression where declining economies' currencies were linked to gold at a fixed rate.  Greece had other issues with productivity, corrupt governments and
 tax evasion, but they could have bumbled along except for the great world recession.

The US is not Greece, as we have our own currency, and our debts are in dollars, which are still in high demand. That's why our government bonds interest rates are actually negative. Governments and individuals are willing to lose money to hold US government bonds. It's possible that changes could occur in the future, but so far no other freely-exchangeable currency looks to replace the dollar.

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA