[Vision2020] The GOP Has Been Put on Notice

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 13:22:09 PST 2012

There's a difference of opinions on usage.

 http://alt-usage-english.org/anymore.html

"anymore" and "any more"
by Bob Cunningham

Opinion concerning "anymore" vs "any more" divides roughly into
three camps:
	1. There is no such word as
"anymore". It is simply a misspelling.
	2. "Anymore" and "any more" are
two ways of spelling the same thing,
and the two
have the same meaning.
	3. There is a useful difference
in meaning between the two.
About the first two camps, little more needs to be said.  Either
statement stands on its own and needs no elaboration.
The
difference in meaning considered useful by the third camp is that
"anymore" is an adverb meaning "nowadays" or "any longer", while
"any more" can be either adverb plus adjective, as in "I don't want
any more pie", or adjective plus noun, as in "I don't want any
more."
The difference between the two meanings is illustrated in the
sentence: "I don't buy books anymore because I don't need any more
books."
The distinction of "any more" and "anymore" seems to be
recognized by many, but not all, US users and by dictionaries
published in the US. At least one British dictionary (NSOED/93) and
some British users recognize "anymore" as an alternative spelling of
"any more", but do not recognize a difference in meaning.
The adverb "anymore" is standard American English when it is
used in a negative sense, as in "I don't do that anymore." It is a
regional or dialectal usage, mostly restricted to spoken English,
when it is used in a positive sense, meaning "nowadays", as in
"Anymore I do that" or "I do that anymore."