[Vision2020] Huh?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 12 10:45:20 PST 2012

Janesta,
I expect police officers to use due diligence and reasonable
discretion in the enforcement of the law. I expect them to use their authority
for the best possible outcome of all parties involved. This was not done. The
only harm these teenagers were doing was to themselves, if any at all. Therefore,
your analogy of using alcohol  while
driving a car and the distribution of firearms is a fallacious one. Further,
the penalty and life long consequences for a minor in possession of alcohol is
far less reaching than that of a drug charge.
Secondly, I think it an erroneous philosophy to expect and
accept all police officers to enforce all laws equally at all times. What a
horrible place any city would be if they did that. We would all be in jail or
broke from fines, or both.
Laws should be used to help people and society, not act like
a hammer smashing them. These teens cannot get a job now, they cannot get grants
or loans for college. They will be dependants on their parents and society for
survival for a long time, only because they made the decision to leave their
dorm room and smoke a joint in their car. Are they deserving of that kind of
punishment? Police Officers that use this kind of power unyieldingly are not
serving the better interests of the public.
BTW, how are you doing Janesta, I have not seen or heard
from you in a while? Are you working? Are you taking the snow and cold well? I
hope this email finds you in good health and spirits. Please take care of
yourself.
Donovan Arnold