[Vision2020] Controversial, but worth considering

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Feb 9 10:18:56 PST 2012

Much to think about, and I suspect I would disagree with a great deal in the book, while also being encouraged and enlightened.  Thanks, Deco.

I will say that references to imitating the pattern of "poorer black families" is what happens when poverty encroaches among any group, and not because the societal dysfunction often seen in poverty-bound Black families is part-and-parcel of being Black.  It's poverty, which, in its insidious and relentless pursuit of decay, envelopes all caught in its grasp.  That, and a horrific coarsening of the culture -- where dissolutes and thugs like Kid Rock, Eminem, and Jay-Z are celebrated for their F-bombs and 'ho-talk, and the idiocy of a Toby Keith, Donald Trump, or P.Diddy, nee' Puff Daddy/Diddy, are celebrated as examples of patriotism and industry.

When kids of any race are raised largely on their own because parents are either tweaked or imprisoned,  and kids leave school and cruise around blasting music that denigrates fidelity, chastity, industry and respect, what else might we expect?

I say this with some first-hand knowledge of working with the poorest of the poor here -- undocumented immigrants -- as well as being quite close to two men, both about my age, who have been caught up in the world of meth and who've lost everything.  The people I ministered among for 12 years came here poor and, within a generation, were reasonably economically secure -- because faith, fidelity, and hard work were the raison d'etre (or razon de ser!) of their families' lives and livelihoods.  My friend Bob, on the other hand, was released last year from prison after serving 5 1/2 years on a meth charge and has few prospects for economic success, although, thankfully, his innate good character resulted in a son who has broken the cycle of both poverty and drug addiction.

And then there's my cousin, raised in that part of the family the rest of us clucked our tongues over, who is in and out of prison -- at this writing, back in again -- because of meth addiction and an insatiable need to steal from others, including me.  His daughter and granddaughter are dirt-poor, addicted, and as hopeless as hopeless can be, all because of the poverty foisted upon them by Danny when theft and drugs became more important to him, following the pattern of his father, than being a decent man.  I love and pray for him, but any recovery on his part would be miraculous.

Poverty -- real poverty, not just the 99 Percent/1 Percent division, as real as that is -- is the most dangerous and complex problem this country faces, and I believe much of it is the result of societal contempt for the poor, reductions in effective federal spending for programs that help people to lift people up, and a War on Drugs that's taken far too many casualties with no real objective and no idea of what "victory" would look like.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com