[Vision2020] Bill to end lawmaker pension perk derailed

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Feb 8 14:42:34 PST 2012

Courtesy of KHQ at:

http://www.khq.com/story/16770645/bill-to-end-lawmaker-pension-perk-derailed

--------------------------
Bill to end lawmaker pension perk derailed

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - A bill to end a pension perk that allows former Idaho lawmakers to hike their pensions by taking more-lucrative state appointments has been derailed, at least for now, on concern it would erode incentives to enter public service.

The House State Affairs Committee voted 14-5 on Wednesday against sending the measure to the full chamber.

Republican Rep. Dennis Lake of Blackfoot has touted his measure as a way of eliminating "unconscionable" special treatment.

But Rep. Brent Crane of Nampa contended the rewards for serving in the Legislature are already minimal, for a post that pays just $16,100 but often demands the attention of a full-time job.

Rep. Erik Simpson of Idaho Falls added that Lake's measure chips away at the edges of incentives that encourage citizens to run for office.

" . . . rewards for serving in the Legislature are already minimal."

OH, THE HUMANITY ! ! !

I guess if they must expand and extend legislature pension perks, they can always gut (er . . . uh . . . I mean "cut") the state health and welfare budget. I mean . , . the H&W budget only benefits people stickin' around to see what cancer they die from anyways.  Ain't that right, Butch?

Seeya later, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Post Falls, Idaho

"If not us, who?