[Vision2020] [link added] We, Intoleristas . . .

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 10:52:30 PST 2012

I've missed some of this debate, but I would like to point out that it's
the liberals on this list (or "Intoleristas", if you prefer) that come
across as the most dogmatic of the two main groups on this list
(Intoleristas/liberals vs. conservatives/Christ Church members).  No
conservative has ever told me that I shouldn't make posts of a certain
type (such as those sceptical of global climate change).  It was the
Intoleristas that spent a lot of time and effort trying to convince me
that boycotting businesses run by Christ Church members wasn't somehow
intolerant of another religion.  It's not the conservatives on this list
that personally attack me and my recently deceased relatives.  Every
time I suggest that we just try to get along with Christ Church members
(and that we should be showing how much better we are supposed to be
welcoming them to our community despite our differences) I get subjected
to long treatises on how evil they are and how much we liberals need to
fight them lest they take over the world or something.  I have spent so
much time on this list defending Christ Church or it's members that I'm
surprised they haven't made me an honorary member.

It's one of the reasons I no longer consider myself a "liberal". I need
a laundry list of parts of other political viewpoints to describe myself
now.  Currently, I'm a social liberal, fiscal conservative, and civil
libertarian.  That may change as I learn more.  For this, I thank the
Intoleristas.  Oh, and Mr. Obama.

Tom just seems to be the most dogmatic of the bunch, and the quickest to
make things personal.

Paul