[Vision2020] A Law Enforcement Response to Violence in Schools

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Sat Dec 29 06:33:39 PST 2012

Arizona sheriff plans to put armed posse at schools

An Arizona sheriff has proposed placing an armed volunteer posse at
many Phoenix-area schools, in response to the deadly school shooting
in Connecticut.
Earlier in the week, Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne proposed
firearms training for one educator in every school in the state.
Following that lead, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Thursday
he wants to start dispatching volunteer patrols to schools within a
week, according to MyFoxPhoenix.com.
The report emphasized that the plan calls for armed posse members
around the perimeters of  schools, not inside them. It will focus on
about 50 schools within Maricopa County.
Sheriff Arpaio says members of the volunteer posse provide their own
equipment and don’t receive a salary, so there’s no cost to taxpayers.
But, he says, the volunteers have the experience to handle the job.
"The posse has the same training regarding guns as our regular deputy
sheriffs, over 100 hours of training, plus refresher courses," he
said. "We should never have a defeatist attitude. We look to the
future and take whatever precautions we can do. I don't just want to
talk, I like action.”
Arpaio has used similar volunteer groups to patrol malls over the
holidays. Posse members arrested 31 people this year, and the sheriff
thinks their presence may deter criminal activity.
When MyFoxPhoenix.com tried to get reaction from school officials, a
spokesperson for Arizona Superintendent John Huppenthal said they are
looking at a number of proposals and released this statement: "In
addition to potentially adopting one of these approaches, we would
want to ensure all schools and districts complete the necessary
intensive threat assessment and violence prevention training that
create a comprehensive solution to create the safest possible
environment for our students."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/28/arizona-sheriff-plans-to-put-armed-posse-at-schools/?test=latestnews#ixzz2GS3JPdUa