[Vision2020] Fling with GOP was brief

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Dec 27 08:57:30 PST 2012

Courtesy of the Letters section of today's (December 27, 2012) Lewiston Tribune with thanks to Marilyn Beckett.

-------------------------------------
Fling with GOP was brief
... My brief "affiliation" with the GOP had unintended consequences. ...
I received a phone call from the Republican National Committee. The caller thanked me for my support for Republicans in the last election, and I said, "What makes you think I supported Republicans in the last election?"
He said, "Aren't you Marilyn Beckett, a registered Republican?"
I said, "Let me tell you how I became a registered Republican. ... This year, after nearly 40 years ... as an independent, I was forced by the Idaho Republican Party to register as a Republican to vote for my candidate, who happened to be a Republican. This was because the Republican Party closed its primary in Idaho. I went back to the courthouse two weeks after the election to return to my independent status.
"The Republican Party claims to be the party of less government. After what I've experienced, you tell me. "
He was very quiet for five seconds and then said, "That doesn't sound very American. I will give a great deal of thought to what you have just told me."
I said, "I hope you will, and be sure and share my message with others."
It was worth the effort to "affiliate" as a Republican to vote for the tenured public servant, Tom Trail. It was worth the effort to "unaffiliate" after the election. And maybe my conversation with the GOP committee caller will also have value - maybe it will help reinstate Idahoans' freedom to vote their conscience.
Marilyn Beckett
Moscow

Rodna and I, too, had a short-term relationship with the GOP for the very same reasons expressed by Ms. Beckett.  Then Rodna and I had our cooties shot and re-registered (me - democrat, Rodna - unaffiliated).

As Rodna and I believe, and I am certain the T-Man (Tom Trail) would agree . . .

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees."

Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com