[Vision2020] A 2nd amendment argument against the NRA plan

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 12:56:10 PST 2012

We've noted some specific criticisms of the NRA plan, raised by Saundra,
Sunil, and others. Here is a general argument against the NRA plan which
rests on some but not all of the specific criticisms. By the "NRA plan," I
mean the plan to deal with our gun violence problem by putting armed forces
in our schools (and presumably other public venues).

Since it is the NRA plan, if it is a good plan, it should preserve and be
consistent with our 2nd amendment rights. Those rights are based on the
need for protection of either of two forms: (a) protection against
tyrannical governments as well as (b) the protection of your life, your
interests, and the lives and interests of your family and friends. Thus,
the NRA plan is justified by appeal to the 2nd amendment to the extent that
it is based on and secures these type-a and type-b protections. Will the
NRA better protect us from the threat of tyrannical governments or the
threats of mass murderers, spree shooters, and other lunatics?

It is far from clear that the NRA plan will protect us from mass murderers
and spree shooters and there is good reason to think that it will cause
more harm. The fact is that these folks are SUICIDAL as well as homicidal.
Until it can be shown that the NRA plan will protect us from harm rather
than lead us to more harm it should not be taken seriously.

What about the need for semi-automatic weapons in order to form militias
against a tyrannical government? Given this, we need a plan that won't put
restrictions on semi-automatic weapons. Yet I don't see how putting armed
government forces in every school in the country is going to increase the
possibility of forming a militia to overtake a tyrannical government. It
strikes me that forming a police state within the school system is exactly
the wrong thing to do if your concern is that your government is taking
away your freedom and is on the verge of becoming a tyranny.

Best, Joe