[Vision2020] Isn't it about time . . .

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 15:22:00 PST 2012

I think you are correct that "paranoid" is an over exaggeration -- like
when you want to talk about gun control and folks insist you want to take
away their handguns and rifles. Maybe it is even a little insulting -- like
calling someone "hysterical" because you disagree with their political
views, or methodologies, or conversations. I apologize for that.

I still stand by the analogy. There is an issue here of risk assessment and
how it impacts policy. We FEEL safer in cars than planes but we are a lot
safer in planes. Our policies should track the facts, not our feelings. I
understand that people feel safer, more in control with a handgun. But what
do the facts say? That is what is important.

But that is a tangential point. I wasn't using it as the basis of an
argument to restrict handgun usage. I was making it in the context of a
broader set of claims.