[Vision2020] The Petition

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Thu Dec 20 11:53:53 PST 2012

Andy is correct. The purpose of the Second Amendment is to have a "well-regulated militia." So apart from this purpose there seems to be no constitutional right to have a gun at all. Lack of this right does not prevent legislatures and courts from regulating or even banning weapons, ammunition, etc., among the general population.
Ralph Nielsen

Andy Boyd wrote:
It's funny, my understanding of the constitution's second amendment is that
ownership of arms was for a well-trained militia.  At the time of our
forefathers, they had no plan to have a standing army so making sure that
citizens had arms and were trained was vital to our nation's defense.  As
you know this is no longer the case.  You can argue the intent of the
founding fathers but what we have now is not what was ever intended, in my
humble opinion.

As far as the NRA is concerned, for its first 120 years of existence or so,
they favored gun control legislation.  After the 1970's takeover of the
organization by more 'radical ' members, no gun control whatsoever became
the motto.  It would be better if more level heads prevailed there.

 Andy Boyd