[Vision2020] Isn't it about time . . .

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 10:33:15 PST 2012

Dan,

The last two comments to your points are good ones. As for the dangers of
school shootings, there is a difference between "the Moscow Police, Fire
and EMS" taking "steps in obtaining training and equipment to mitigate such
a situation" and, say, arming teachers or students with guns. The latter is
crazy and paranoid. I don't have a problem with seeking aid from
professionals to prepare for the worst case, especially where school
children are concerned.

On the other hand, this is much different than owning a gun for protection.
I think that having a gun as protection in this town is a sign of paranoia.
A bat and access to a telephone would likely provide equal safety without
the associated risks of owning a gun. No doubt you and I might disagree
about this and I respect that. You have confidence in your ability to use a
gun to protect your family but I can assure you that I don't need a gun. No
one is going to break into my house and harm either myself or my family.
And all I have is a bat and my wit. You might think I'm arrogant in
believing this but I would say the same about gun owners. We disagree and
that is fine.

Which brings us to Art's point, which he has made twice and I am now making
for the second time: NO ONE IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR HANDGUNS OR RIFLES.
No one is seriously talking about that. No one on Vision 2020 has advocated
that. I don't know of any elected official who has that position. It is a
strawman fallacy to use it in debate.

I think owning a gun is more dangerous than not, so I don't own a gun. You
and Paul disagree and both of you own guns for protection (among other
reasons). I'm fine with that. There is a great deal that we can do to try
to solve the problem of gun violence in the USA without taking away
handguns and rifles and everyone that I know who is interested is
discussing THOSE issues.

Joe