[Vision2020] On Guns, America Stands Out

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 04:05:08 PST 2012

On Guns, America Stands OutBy CHARLES M. BLOW

Published: December 19, 2012

 Enlarge This Image
   Damon Winter/The New York Times

Charles M. Blow

Sometimes I think the best argument is raw data. This is one of those
times.

In the wake of the horrible school shooting in Connecticut and on the heels
of politicians finally being smoked out into the open to talk seriously
about sensible gun control policies, it’s important that we understand just
how anomalous America is on the issues of guns and violence among developed
countries. This table shows how shamefully we measure up against other
countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.
Among the O.E.C.D. countries that the World Bank groups as “high income,”
America has the highest gun homicide rate, the highest number of guns per
capita and the highest rate of deaths due to assault. In fact, America has
more homicides by gun than all of the other high-income O.E.C.D. countries
combined.
It’s just shameful

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)