[Vision2020] Do you believe in Santa Claus?

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sat Dec 8 14:08:56 PST 2012

Children who are old enough to read billboards posted by humanists need to be taught not to take them seriously but to cherish the belief systems taught them by their parents. This includes not only belief in Jesus but also belief in Santa Claus. So here is a plea I wrote almost 14 years ago. It is still valid.

For many years millions of people have believed in Santa Claus. Today
millions more believe in him. Why do so many claim Santa as their personal
friend? Because they have found that the true way to know Santa is to
believe in him. And the only way to receive his gifts is to become like
little children and have complete faith in him.

Of course some people - agnostics, atheists, freethinkers, liberals, and
secular humanists - claim that Santa Claus is a mythical being who was
invented by humans. But these scoffers and doubters will never destroy
people's faith in him, for as long as people believe in free gifts they
will believe in Santa Claus.

Human gifts have to be made out of earthly materials; Santa creates his
gifts out of nothing. Human gifts have to be paid for; Santa gives us his
gifts for free. Some people think he needs to be reminded of what they
would like, but Santa already knows what we need. All we have to know is
that Santa Claus is alive and loves us. All we have to do is to make a
personal commitment to believe in him. So won't you, too, accept Santa's
offer of free gifts? Just kneel down, bow your head, close your eyes, and
reverently say to yourself:

"Dear Santa Claus. I truly believe in you and want you for my personal
friend. Let me humbly accept your gifts, not because I deserve them, but
because it is your will that I should receive them. Let me not doubt, but
increase my faith; for the harder I believe in you, the more real you
become. Amen."