[Vision2020] Gov. Otter: State ‘probably not’ meeting constitutional standard for education

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Dec 5 17:08:28 PST 2012

Courtesy of the Spokesman-Review.

-------------------------------------
Name: image.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 17466 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

When Gov. Butch Otter asked for questions at the end of his luncheon speech to the Associated Taxpayers of Idaho today, the first one came from former longtime state chief economist Mike Ferguson. ?Do you believe that the state of Idaho is maintaining a general, uniform and thorough system of public education?? That's the standard required by the Idaho Constitution. ?And if so,? Ferguson asked, ?how do you square that with the dramatic increase in unequalized property taxes to fund public schools in Idaho??

Otter first said, ?I'm not prepared to answer that question, to be quite frank with you.? He noted the ?rural nature of the state,? and how that's led to differing course offerings in remote school districts, vs. more urban ones. Otter also said he thought the Idaho Education Network was helping with that, by offering distance education to remote rural districts.

?I would say we're probably not, but we're doing the best job that we can, and we're going to continue to do the best job that we can,? the governor said.

Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com

Tom Hansen, CPL  (Commie Pinko Liberal)