[Vision2020] Religion, Moscow Billboards, and the First Amendment (Part 1)

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 16:11:40 PST 2012

This whole situation is both interesting and disturbing. I heard a report
on the radio the other day and it contained a recording of Councilman
Krauss giving the guy hell for making broad, insulting comments about the
Moscow council, merely because they are unable to restrict clear instances
of free speech. Good job, Wayne! I'm proud of you for speaking so
rationally and yet so passionately about this issue.

Here's what is disturbing. Judd Wilson used his own daughter to publicly
make a controversial political point, and not just once but at least twice.
Further, to suggest that a poster geared toward adults -- sending the
message "Don't act like children" or something like that -- is somehow an
insult to a poor, sick child is not just offensive and stupid but the very
kind of speech that any decent community should discourage. I'm not talking
about censorship; I'm talking about broad scale public criticism.

Shame on you, Judd Wilson. Leave your kid out of it.