[Vision2020] Fw: [Spam 7.51] Deadly Cantaloupe Outbreak Probed by U.S. Prosecutors

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Wed Aug 29 11:42:44 PDT 2012

-----Original message-----

From: Food Quality eUpdate foodquality at wiley.com
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 08:10:50 -0700
To: L FALEN lfalen at turbonet.com
Subject: [Spam 7.51] Deadly Cantaloupe Outbreak Probed by U.S. Prosecutors

If you have trouble reading this email, try the online
version ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/view.asp?m=wt14dbkpmou309fk4nl6&u=6609938&f=t )

Food Quality eUpdate - original news on the latest in food
manufacturing and food science

HDR_Info_r01c01
1x1_spacer

www.foodquality.com (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634148
)
August 28, 2012

1x1_spacer
HDR_Info_r01c03

HDR_Info_r02c01

HDR_Info_r01c01
1x1_spacer

( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634148
)

READ FQ ONLINE ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634148
)

Have a story idea?

Email the editor: FQideas at wiley.com (
mailto:FQideas at wiley.com )

( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634149
)

----------------
UPCOMING EVENTS:
----------------

10.9.12 - Food Safety and Sanitation for Food
Manufacturers ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634689
)

10.28.12 - PACK EXPO International (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634690
)

11.7.12 - China International Food Safety & Quality
Conference + Expo (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634691
)

( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634150
)

1x1_spacer

( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634151
)

eUpdate Exclusive

Deadly Cantaloupe Outbreak Probed by U.S. Prosecutors (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634152
)

Proving Jensen Farms knowingly released contaminated
product will be a challenge for prosecutors

Rumors continue to swirl around an alleged federal
criminal probe being conducted by U.S. prosecutors into the
deadly 2011 Listeria outbreak traced to cantaloupes sold by
Colorado-based Jensen Farms, which the CDC reports killed at
least 33 people and sickened nearly 150 more.

On August 13, food safety attorney Bill Marler told Bloomberg
News that he had turned all his files connected with the case
over to federal investigators three weeks earlier. Two days
later, the nonprofit I-News Network, based in Denver, Colo.,
reported that it had multiple independent sources confirming a
current, active criminal probe into Jensen Farms.

FULL ARTICLE > ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634152
)

Simple and Affordable Contact Surface Allergen
Prevention Test ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634153
)

A surface protein residue test from Hygiena is making
allergen prevention testing easier and more affordable. Users
quickly detect down to 1-4 ppm of protein residue using the
simple colorimetric test. AllerSnap screens for proteins left on
surfaces allowing the user to cover a broad range of allergens
before or after production. By screening for proteins on
surfaces, multiple allergens can be detected with one test,
eliminating the extra cost of specific allergen tests, matrix
issues, and complicated procedures. AllerSnap is easy to use,
speeds up time between product changeovers, and ideal with HACCP
programs to show proper cleaning and compliance. Learn more.

eUpdate Exclusive

Consumer Reports Receives $2 Million Grant for Food
Safety Study ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634154
)

Publication vows to focus on pathogens, carcinogens, and
heavy metals in food

Consumer Reports, the arbiter of safety and quality in
consumer products ranging from cars to washing machines to baby
cribs, will take a more prominent role in assessing food safety,
using a new $2 million grant from the Pew Charitable Trusts.

Announced on August 12, the grant will allow the magazine to
invest much more in food safety testing. Consumer Reports has
conducted previous investigations on BPA, pesticide contamination
in vegetables, and arsenic in juices, but Pew's support allows
the publication to be much more ambitious. "We'll be focusing
mostly on pathogens, heavy metals, and carcinogens in food,"
Jennifer Shecter, a senior policy analyst at the magazine, told
the New York Times.

FULL ARTICLE > ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634154
)

Exclusive Food Safety Guidebook - Best Practices,
Tips, & More ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634155
)

Whether it's implementing one of the Food Safety
initiatives, getting the latest updates on the Food Safety
Modernization Act, or just evaluating the best practices
solutions on the market, the concept of Food Safety Management is
at the forefront of the discussion. Read this guide on Food
Safety Software, and learn how to ensure an effective food safety
system with best practices and tips for implementation success.

Download Your Complimentary Guidebook Now (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634155
).

>From the June/July issue of Food Quality magazine

Life Before the FDA (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634156
)

Before there was the Food and Drug Administration, there
was Harvey W. Wiley, MD, the extraordinary chemist who gave rise
to the FDA.

FULL ARTICLE > ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634156
)

>From the June/July issue of Food Quality magazine

BPI: Victim or Villain? (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634157
)

Is the attack on BPI over "pink slime" justified?
Attorney Shawn Stevens shares his thoughts in this Food Quality
exclusive.

FULL ARTICLE > ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634157
)

>From the June/July issue of Food Quality magazine

Adding Enterprise Resource Planning to FSMA Planning (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634158
)

Even though the FSMA does not specifically require food
companies to adopt an ERP system--technology requirements are
still being evaluated--author Jack Payne believes now is the time
to adopt ERP systems to ensure compliance.

FULL ARTICLE > ( http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634158
)

1x1_spacer
HDR_Info_r01c03

FTR_FQUeNEWS_Complete

Food Quality is published by John Wiley
& Sons. 111 River Street, Hoboken, NJ 07030

Copyright 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc., a Wiley
Company. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be
reproduced in any form or by any means, except as permitted under
Sections 107 or 108 of the 1976 United States Copyright Act,
without either the prior written permission of the publisher, or
authorization through the Copyright Clearance Center, 222
Rosewood Drive, Danvers, MA 01923: (978) 750-8400: fax (978)
750-4470.

All materials published, including but not limited
to original research, clinical notes, editorials, reviews,
reports, letters, and book reviews represent the opinions and
views of the authors and do not reflect any official policy or
medical opinion of the institutions with which the authors are
affiliated or of the publisher unless this is clearly specified.
Materials published herein are intended to further general
scientific research, understanding, and discussion only and are
not intended and should not be relied upon as recommending or
promoting a specific method, diagnosis or treatment by physicians
for any particular patient.

While the editors and publisher believe that the
specifications and usage of equipment and devices as set forth
herein are in accord with current recommendations and practice at
the time of publication, they accept no legal responsibility for
any errors or omissions, and make no warranty, express or
implied, with respect to material contained herein. Publication
of an advertisement or other discussions of products in this
publication should not be construed as an endorsement of the
products or the manufacturers' claims. Readers are encouraged to
contact the manufacturers with any questions about the features
or limitations of the products mentioned.

This email was sent to: lfalen at turbonet.com If you would prefer not to
receive the Food Quality eUPDATE, please Click here (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634159
) to remove yourself from our eUPDATE distribution list. You may
be subscribed to more than one Food Quality list (FQ eTOC, FQ
Events, etc). If you would like to be removed from ALL Food
Quality lists, please click here (
http://dmmsclick.wiley.com/click.asp?p=6609938&m=61808&u=1634160
).