[Vision2020] How Many More . . .

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sat Aug 18 12:09:25 PDT 2012

On 8/18/2012 9:31 AM, Gary Crabtree wrote:
> Since you are absolutely convinced that detailed lists are totally
> benign, let's make available a roster of everyone who has ever sought
> or been given treatment for any and every mental health condition?
> After all, it's all for the greater good and what could possibly go
> wrong? Why track a tool when you can track the potential user?
> Heck this detailed list idea is so good why not expand it to
> organizations, books, movies, and music. Absolutely anything that
> might even hint at inspiring violence. I'm sure that a community
> conscious individual such as your self couldn't possibly object to a
> little bit of scrutiny in exchange for a small measure of potential
> safety, right?

Computer science types are watchful that they don't trap themselves into
attempting to compute something that would take very long periods of
time (longer than a human lifetime, for example) to compute. Sometimes a
different algorithm can render a problem more computationally tractable,
and sometimes not.

Analogously, making the lists you are suggesting here would be an
administrative burden not unlike attempting to calculate every facet of
everything. Practically, i.e., within reasonable time frames, not to
mention with any sort of logical clarity, it just can not be accomplished.

Let's take, for example, your phrase "absolutely anything that might
even hint at inspiring violence." OK, let's consider just a triple of
tomes: the Old Testament, the New Testament, and the Qur'an, and those
who read and adhere to one or more of them in some fashion. The
administrative result is a list of Jews, Christians, and Muslims, three
groups of people about whom it is true to suggest that some among them
have been inspired to violence by what they read in one or more of those
volumes.

What are we to do with such a list of people? Declare them all mentally
ill, and then refer them for psychiatric treatment? Oh, by the way, how
is society's supply of secular humanist psychiatrists and religious cult
deprogrammers? Oops. Analogous to the electronically ancient computer
with one processor operating at a slow clock speed, the process for
accomplishing all that work would take an unacceptably long time, and
since we know that in advance of starting such a process, we won't start
the process.

These practical considerations, plus the rights of people to pursue the
happiness of their own brands of insanity in the privacy of their own
homes, or places of worship, such as movie houses screening Disney
flicks, opera houses presenting Wagnerian almost anything, or book clubs
discussing romance novels with pink covers and numbers on their spines,
means that it is highly unlikely that anytime soon anyone is going to
attempt to pry a Bible from anyone else's cold dead fingers. So, relax.

Ken