[Vision2020] How Many More . . .

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Aug 17 14:49:57 PDT 2012

On 8/17/2012 12:44 PM, Wayne Price wrote:
> Ron,
>
> " ... seeking to hold gun manufacturers and dealers liable for
> negligence when their weapons are used in crimes..."
>
> I the truest spirt of equity,how far  do we carry this?

Hold liable the owner of record, which would require, after some date
certain, the existence of an agreed national registry of owners of
record. Current federal laws don't allow such to be created, though
there are registration exceptions for "gangster guns", and there are
various federal databases, probably uncoordinated, containing data of
uncertain accuracy and timeliness.

Were the federal law to be amended to treat guns loosely analogously to
securities, ownership of specific firearms, and the financial basis for
that ownership, could be reported annually or quarterly on an IRS form
into a national registry. Purchase and sale of weapons could be treated
not-so-differently than stocks or bonds, with individually-identified
weapons changing ownership at the financial leisure of the
taxpayer-owner, and with complete respect for the owner's constitutional
rights.

> It's far too slippery of a slope to hold a legitimate manufacturer and
> dealer liable when they have no control over their products, no matter
> what those products are, once they leave the manufactures and dealers
> control.

If weapons manufacturers are not to be held liable, then the latest
subsequent owners of their products may be held liable if that ownership
is insufficiently careful of control over those products whose use is
inherently dangerous.

Ken