[Vision2020] GISS and NCDC Rank July Global Ave. Temp. 13th and 4th Warmest?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 15:26:04 PDT 2012

I keep looking for my error, but unless I've made one, Goddard Institute
for Space Studies and the National Climatic Data Center have ranked July
2012 global average surface temperature differently by quite a margin.
Usually GISS and NCDC rank global average monthly temperatures the same or
close to the same, so this is unusual.  Maybe the climate change
conspiracists got their propaganda mixed up this month!  Ha!

Of course its important to look at the combined land and sea surface
temperatures for the total global average temperature, not land temperature
only.  But I unless I've missed something, the rankings I mention are
combined land and sea.

GISS ranks July 2012 as the 13th warmest since 1880:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/climatechange/how-did-july-2012-temperatures-1/69851

Globally, for land/ocean surface combined, July 2012 averaged 0.47 degrees
C. (0.85 F) above the 1951-1980 average, making last month the 13th warmest
July on record. Records go back to 1880.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

National Climatic Data Center ranks July 2012 as the 4th warmest July since
1880:

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/globe-records-fourth-warmest-july-with-record-heat-in-us-14813/

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2012/7

   - The average combined global land and ocean surface temperature for
   July 2012 was 0.62°C (1.12°F) above the 20th century average of 15.8°C
   (60.4°F). This is the fourth warmest July since records began in 1880.