[Vision2020] IB Program Axed in CdA School District

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Aug 7 16:41:34 PDT 2012

On 8/7/2012 1:22 PM, Sue Hovey wrote:
>> This reads as a traditional Idaho post-boomer education mismanagement
>> and deconstruction article. The political perspectives of frightened
>> feral rural rodents digging deeper their noxious nests to avoid
>> actual cultural contacts with wiser sapient societies boggles belief,
>> but bears notice, nay, demands deterrence.
>
>  And from the above article of alliterative argument may one assume
> you intend to be a part of the statewide clamor from those who demand
> deterrence?
>
> In reference to the video,  obviously they aren't graduates of Idaho
> institutions, so I read your final  comment as a disparagement of
> Idaho students, and they do get plenty of that in spite of their
> successes in a state where policymakers do their damnedest to
> shortchange them.  An example: I had lunch the other day with a former
> student who could have been completely at ease in that polyglot
> conversation. He was on his way to a position in a Francophone
> institution in Montreal,where he will be teaching European
> history...in French, of course, but he could do it in German or even
> English if need be.
>
> And now I'll join you in that demand.  Frightened rodents take a lot
> of persuading.

Yes, I am in favor of better public education policies, resources, and
management to achieve more desirable outcomes, especially for secondary
and adult basic education students. When power is devolved upon
individuals more adept at dismantling than at reconstructing the
situation becomes at least as political as educational.

I neither had nor have any intention to disparage any Idaho student, but
merely to note that it is not possible to learn all of those languages
at Idaho schools. English, Spanish, French, and German usually are
available at the universities; Italian, Swedish, Norwegian have not been
available for some time, if ever. Idaho public school students may not
be disparaged about not learning what is not offered to them, especially
foreign languages not offered in primary schools, when an individual is
more likely to better learn the native pronunciation, and thus develop
fluency.

(Assuming, of course, instructors able to, and with materials to, teach
appropriate phonetic basics at age level.)

Of the multiple reasons a person might want to learn another language,
one that is applicable to almost all second language learners is that
second language study broadens and deepens understanding of the first
language. The comparative and contrastive benefits of second language
study are an integral part of the process, and a benefit to all language
students whether or not they use the second language with significant
frequency. This seems a reasonable justification for requiring foreign
language study for secondary school graduation, and as a component of
adult basic education.

Ken