[Vision2020] Fwd: Award Well-Deserved

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 18:37:47 PDT 2012

My replies follow some of your comments.

> Concentration camp employees differ from truck drivers and flaggers in several important ways.  Duties, pay, benefits, their retirement packages, and, more to the point, the drivers and flaggers are presumably not involved in an immediate way with genocide and all the ugliness that entails.  While it's presumably true that both concentration camp employees and drivers and flaggers all chose their professions willingly, it's really a manner of the degree of the comparison that I think is, quite frankly, asinine.

They have the one thing in common that counts: neither gets to use the it's just my job as a justification for their behavior.

> If the author of the quote had not wanted to compare the two events (fracking vs. genocide), then why did he or she evoke the name of one of the most infamous of the concentration camps run by the Nazis?  They could have said "there were employees at Flo's Diner who were just doing their jobs, too".  I would then wonder what his or her point was.

What did the author justify? Lawful, civil demonstration, which is their right. No one is saying truck drivers deserve the same treatment as Nazi guards. The point is one can't use a bad argument to prevent lawful, civil demonstration, as Dan tried to do. Truck driver sympathies don't trump civil rights.

Joe