[Vision2020] MHS on You Tube

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 16:06:29 PDT 2012

Thanks for the photo...

If this ION USB turntable is even marginally worth listening to, 200
dollars is a bargain, much less 112 dollars... My Grado
   http://www.gradolabs.com/page_cartridges.php  made in the good'ol
USA cartridge/stylus cost 200 dollars, and this is bargain basement pricing
in the world of high quality audio gear.  My turntable, tonearm and needed
vinyl playback accessories add up to much more, just to spin and hold the
vinyl with the diamond in the groove so the moving magnets in the Grado
cartridge can generate their tiny signal... When considering the physics of
what is required to extract a music signal from vinyl, it's no surprise
that the technology can become advanced and expensive.

But of course the 90,000 dollar Continuum Caliburn and Cobra vinyl playback
gear is cost no object technological excess, for those who don't have to
ask the price.

On the subject of music and digital downloads and so forth, this relatively
new company, HDtracks, is banking on people wishing to buy high resolution
digital downloads, 96khz/24bit even 192/24, and also CD red book
44.1khz/16bit. They have quite a good catalog of albums already, but no
Jimi Hendrix!  Nor any Orbital albums, nor Juno Reactor, nor Future Sound
of London, nor Chemical Brothers... Give me break!  However, I just checked
on another favorite of mine, This Mortal Coil.  I scored.  They have
Filigree and Shadow and It'll End in Tears.

https://www.hdtracks.com/
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett