[Vision2020] More Help for the Wealthy

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 17:01:11 PDT 2012

On 04/15/2012 04:31 PM, Art Deco wrote:
> Despite the Mom-and-Pop label, it is designed so that nearly half of
> the tax cut would go to people with annual income over $1 million, and
> more than four-fifths would go to those making over $200,000,
> according to the Tax Policy Center
> <http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/numbers/displayatab.cfm?Docid=3342&DocTypeID=1>.

That's a little disingenuous.  The over $1M tax bracket goes all the way
up, whereas the lower tax brackets have a ceiling.  That's like
complaining that the highest paid employees get a better deal out of a
straight percentage raise, on average.  Of course they do.  According to
the link to govtrack.us that was in the original email
(http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr9), here is what the bill
actually does:

"Small Business Tax Cut Act - Amends the Internal Revenue Code to allow
domestic businesses a tax deduction for 20% of the lesser of their
qualified domestic business income (income effectively connected with a
trade or business in the United States) or their taxable income for the
taxable year. Limits the amount of such deduction to 50% of the the
greater of the W-2 wages (payroll) paid to business non-owners or the
sum of the W-2 wages paid to non-owner family members of direct owners
(i.e., stockholders), plus any W-2 wages paid to direct owners who have
a 10% or less interest in a business."

It's a straight percentage, with a maximum amount cut (also a
percentage).  So of course it will benefit the largest cash earners the
most, but it still benefits every small business.  With the economy the
way it is, I can see why they want this.  Reduce the tax burden so that
businesses of all sizes can increase profits.  This is a direct boost to
the economy, at the expense of some tax revenue.  I don't know if the
loss in revenue is worth the possible increase in businesses bottom
lines, but that's a math question, really.

Also, limiting the maximum amount to a percentage of wages paid is one
way to create an incentive for creating jobs.  The larger the payroll,
the larger the possible tax break.  Kind of clever, actually.

Paul