[Vision2020] Former UI President Goes Undercover

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 15 11:20:00 PDT 2012

Courtesy of UC, Riverside at:

http://newsroom.ucr.edu/news_item.html?action=page&id=2607

------------------------------------

A Chancellor Undercover

UC Riverside Chancellor Timothy P. White traded his suit and tie for the season finale of Undercover Boss on CBS

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (www.ucr.edu) — The mission was impossible. Take the head of a public research university and hide him in plain sight for a week. But the University of California, Riverside accomplished it at the request of the hit CBS reality show “Undercover Boss.”

Chancellor Timothy P. White, who has served as UC Riverside’s highly visible chief executive for the past three years, crops his hair short and dons a mustache, false teeth, and earring in a show that lets him take on the everyday work of the students, staff and faculty at the 20,000-student campus. In the process, he said, he was changed as a chancellor.

In the show he works with a track coach, a chemistry professor, a campus tour guide and a staff member in the science library.

This is the first time a university campus has ever been featured on the Emmy-nominated show. The UCR episode was the season finale, airing Sunday, May 1 on CBS.

“Seeing the campus from the inside out only strengthened my respect for the way a public research university changes lives and creates value every day,” White said. “I was moved and changed as a person and as a leader by this very intense examination of how the place works from the ground level. My decisions as a chancellor will be more thoughtful because of this experience.”

---------------

Chancellor White before his transformation.

Timothy P. White crops his hair and puts on a mustache to go undercover at the University of California, Riverside.

Watch this episode of "Undercover Boss" online

http://www.cbs.com/shows/undercover_boss/?x-akamai-mobile=tablet

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"