[Vision2020] Narcotics = Good, Marijuana = Evil?

deb debismith at moscow.com
Sat Apr 7 17:49:02 PDT 2012

Nice image, Tom!
Before I star this rant to the V, I should give full disclosure: my spouse
is on VA benefits for health care. It is minimal, but better than nothing.
He gets his prescriptions for $8 each per month, can go to Spokane's VA Med
Center for checkups and non-life-threatening emergencies ( a broken bone
with no significant bleeding--drive to Spokane. A possible heart attack that
turns out to be an actual heart attack, go to Gritman and they will pay--not
an actual heart attack, tough luck). Since he had no medical insurance, this
is still a positive thing. He was military, Viet Nam era, not carreer, not
retired. We are very pleased that he gets this much!!!! My ex-spouse is also
Viet Nam era military, and being treated for Agent Orange exposure. Without
VA medical care, his prognosis would be grim as he has no ability to get
health insurance (PTSD has far reaching effects).
BUT
I just heard from my mom that her significant other (retired military) was
prescribed oxy as an alternative to Motrin. He was  taking Motrin every
couple of days as needed  for pain, but his VA doc prescribed oxy 2 times
daily because Motrin can cause liver and kidney damage! And one of the BIG
issues with oxy (aside from the easy addiction issue) is kidney and liver
damage! The guy is 73 years old, in great shape, walks 6 miles a day, and
absolutely doesn't want the oxy. It was a nightmare to get the VA to say he
didn't have to (against doctor orders) take it. He was prescribed something
worse in larger doses  to replace something relatively benign. And as oxy is
SOOOOO over-prescribed, why wouldn't the VA doctor (who incidently is
charged with assisting military folks with getting past drug addictions)
just let the old fart be?
If medical marijuana was available in Utah, he would be pleased to do
that---no kidney or liver damage, no addiction issues, no irritation with
the VA issues.....

Somehow, we have missed the boat in the US. Big Pharma has the lobby, simple
remedies are anathema because Big Pharma doesn't own them....And we are
supposed to trust the insurance/drug industry for our health care? And the
Republice think a free market economy is the way to go? Well, perhaps after
everyone with a health issue is dead......

follow the dots (or just stay in LaLa Land). Open your eyes, and get a bit
more cynical to push towards something more hopeful......When the
pharmaceutical companies and the insurance companies are held accountable
and regulated in a real way, this country will be much better off. EVERY US
CITZEN SHOULD HAVE AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE. PERIOD, FULL STOP.
Rant done....
Debi R-S