[Vision2020] Commission race pits 'political novice' against 'political old-timer'

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Apr 2 04:01:27 PDT 2012

Courtesy of today's (April 2, 2012) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

-------------------------
Commission race pits 'political novice' against 'political old-timer'

Two Republican candidates are competing for Latah County commissioner in District No.1 after Democratic incumbent Jennifer Barrett decided she wouldn't make another run to keep her seat.
Running in a district that includes Potlatch, Viola, Onaway and a portion of Moscow are eight-term Idaho District 6 Rep. Tom Trail and retired rancher Richard Walser. The winner goes on to challenge Democratic candidate Kurt Obermayr of Moscow in the November general election.

Trail

Citing a desire to leave a polarized Legislature in Boise and localize representation in Latah County, Trail said the commission will allow him to put his experience to good use without bipartisanship stalling progress.

The Idaho Legislature adjourned Thursday after an 81-day session with Democratic and moderate Republican lawmakers arguing it was less successful than expected.

"That polarization still is making it more and more difficult to work along party lines," said Trail. "I don't see that happening at the county level."

Back in Moscow this week with little time to campaign, Trail said, if elected to the commission, he will focus on what he sees as statewide issues affecting all 44 Idaho counties.

"I think that some of the needs in Latah County are pretty well statewide needs, and I think my goals, and of most of our citizens' (goals), are to work on economic development, job creation and education," said Trail. "With any county, we need to keep our basic services at a good standard all the way from transportation throughout the variety of services that we offer at the county level."

Trail said he is currently working to organize an economic development workshop in Latah County through local leadership, Idaho Commerce Director Jeff Sayer, the University of Idaho and the Latah Economic Development Council. His hope is for the workshop to run in conjunction with a regional Idaho Global Entrepreneurial Mission meeting. IGEM focuses on strengthening the state's economy through private/public partnerships for technological innovation.

An issue county commissioners are tackling at the moment is lack of space at the Latah County Courthouse and the potential to gain additional office space through acquisition of the federally surplused U.S. Federal Building in Moscow.

Trail said he would err on the side of caution and hold out for more information "before I spent a cent of Latah County money on the building."

"The county does need more space," he said. "I think everybody agrees on that."

Walser

Going up against an eight-term Idaho representative will no doubt be a challenge, said Walser, who last ran for county commissioner in 2006.

"There's no doubt that you have the political novice against the political old-timer," said the retired Viola farmer, adding of Trail, "He's a nice guy. I'd be very reluctant to say anything negative about him."

Walser said he will use the lessons he learned running a campaign in '06, one of which being to avoid talking yourself out of the race.

"You can talk someone out of voting for you in a heart beat," he said, adding he doesn't like campaigning on promises. "Most of their duties as I've seen them are administration and oversight things. You're working with two other people, and I've done that."

Having served on agricultural committees and boards in the past, Walser said he enjoyed the working relationship with people and, while there is a lot of detailed work, he would like serve county residents.

"The people part is fun, I've had fun campaigning," he said. "It's just been delightful meeting the people of this county."

If elected, Walser said he will work with fellow commissioners to make administrative decisions he sees best for the county, seeking as much information as possible to make an informed decision.

"You always have to prioritize things," he said. "You have to pick the most important and put the money where it will work the best. If I tell you I'm the smartest person in the room, I'll make sure I'm the only person in the room."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"

- Unknown