[Vision2020] Moscow-Pullman Daily News Letter from WSU Professor Matteson: "Global warming predicted"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:42:05 PDT 2011

LETTER Global warming predicted

http://dnews.com/opinion/article_c995c32e-e5ff-11e0-8ce0-0019bb30f31a.html

Friday, September 23, 2011

The current average global temperature is within half a degree Celsius (one
degree Fahrenheit) of what Svante Arrhenius' calculated 100 years ago that
the current carbon dioxide level in the atmosphere would produce. That fact
was pointed out by Bassam Shakashiri, past president of the American
Chemical Society, at the old geezers' ("senior chemists") breakfast at a
recent society meeting in Denver.

Dr. Shakashiri emphasized the importance of informing the public about the
science of global warming (the facts) as distinct from the politics (the
arguments about what we should do about it).

If you want to learn more about the science, I would suggest that you Google
"Svante Arrhenius global warming."  You will find his original 1896 paper,
bibliographical information, and the history of scientific developments in
the field.  Some of the articles are pretty technical, others simplify the
science to where anyone should be able to understand it.

Don Matteson

Washington State University, Chemistry professor

------------------------------------

The fourth listing on the Google search Matteson recommended today leads to
"The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect" article from the American Institute
of Physics  http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm  that I have posted
numerous times to Vision2020, one of the best easily understood histories of
climate science I have read.  Links on the right side of the article will
take the reader to more technical science, if they wish.

There are numerous credible sources that summarize climate science, but the
following two I've found especially competent and easily understood:
Professor Scott Mandias presentation of climate science here:
http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/global_warming/  And Barton Paul
Levenson's climate science pages here:
http://bartonpaullevenson.com/Climatology.html