[Vision2020] Peculiar Presents for that Peculiar Friend/Relative

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Mon Sep 19 22:07:30 PDT 2011

Sure.  I guess it comes down to perspective.  For example, my mother used the bowl years and years ago when she cut the boys’ hair, just to keep it off the floor.  The leg circulation device is commonly used for people without disabilities, but that doesn’t preclude its use in other ways.  I think those of us who work with people with disabilities do, in fact, respond to stimuli which other folks can be forgiven if they miss.  I always choose to use most terms as nouns, not adjectives to modify terms about disability.  I would say my daughter with a disability, not “my disabled daughter.”   Comes with the territory, don’t you guess.

Sue