[Vision2020] Bees

deb debismith at moscow.com
Mon Sep 5 19:30:49 PDT 2011

I agree it means we are in for an early and hard winter. The wasps and yellow jackets are extremely agressive right now, looking for ways to feed the queen (the only one to survive the winter). The dish soap remedy is helpful, but even beter is a bit of raw meet suspended above a tray of water. Those dang things are carnivores, and eat until they fall down and drown. Honey bees and other pollinators aren't carnivorous, so it doesn't kill them....Also, that ground wasp nest? A bit of beer in a saucer or a near empty beer bottle next to the nest....they are natural alcoholics, and drink 'til they drown. Knocking down their nests and letting the ants have 'em is great if you have lots of space to stay away from the carnage....

On the other hand, the wasps just love some of the pests that eat our greens (aphids, leaf miners, and even slugs), so getting rid of all of them might be detrimental---mostly, I'm willing to risk that in order to avoid being bitten by the nasty beggars!

Organic farming is teaching us stuff we just didn't even want to know....
Debi R-S